How to Master the Art of Storytelling in Your Marketing Campaign
GRIN also recommends this free guide:
Influencer Marketing Best Practices
Nothing captivates audiences quite like a good story. Movies, books, and T.V. shows all are great ways to connect and inspire people all over the world and have done so for hundreds of years. While in the past stories have provided brief escapes from everyday life through a variety of characters and adventures, recently marketers have found that storytelling in marketing is a valuable tool that can boost a company brand.
While most consumers have grown tired of the traditional marketing methods, storytelling marketing gives people a new look into a company and its brand and helps reach them on a deeper level. Companies who are able to create positive experiences through marketing stories are able to build an emotional connection with consumers, and studies have shown that consumer loyalty is heavily influenced by positive emotions.
Innovation has always been a top priority for brands looking to improve…
The live streaming market is already worth billions, and it’s only expected…
In light of recent racial hate crimes, brands and consumers are considering…
What is Storytelling?
Storytelling is an expression of human emotions that connects people to one another. Whether we realize it or not, stories are part of our everyday lives. Telling friends about a recent trip or weekend getaway? It’s a story. Sharing the details of a busy day with family members over the dinner table? Yep, another story.
Reliving these moments offers a chance for people to connect with one another and get a glimpse into the lives of their loved ones.
There are many different ways to tell a story, but they all inspire audiences to use the imagination and serve a purpose on behalf of the storyteller. A story could be told by a teacher to help educate students about a new concept, a comedian to evoke laughter from their audience, or a business to sell their products.
Businesses may not technically be human, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a story behind how it came to be, and this story is what can be used to captivate audiences through the art of storytelling.
What is Storytelling with Influencer Marketing?
While anyone is capable of creating a story, it takes a bit of talent to tell a great story that fuels the emotions that drive action from audiences. It can take years of practice to master and requires a certain amount of creativity and skill to make it compelling for audiences.
We are able to retain 70% of information through stories, but only 10% from data, so having a team member who is a master of creating compelling stories is crucial for having a successful story marketing campaign.
Influencer marketing has proved itself an extremely useful strategy when it comes to content marketing in the past few years and has no sign of slowing down anytime soon; reports show that it will be worth an estimated $10 billion by next year alone.
Influencers are a great tool to utilize as they are masters of all things digital and are specialists in specific areas when it comes to content marketing. They are adept at engaging with followers and are experts at promoting products without the sales vibe that can come across from companies. Up to 90% of people on the internet trust recommendations from influencers.
Utilizing social media influencers for storytelling marketing allows a company to have its brand story easily shared with consumers in a way that feels organic, without the use of banner and pop-up ads.
How Do Influencers Help Your Influencer Marketing?
Influencers are great at helping companies tap into a specific niche of consumers throughout different markets. It is important to know that getting granular when it comes to segmenting target markets is the best way to ensure the best ROI and niche influencers are the best at reaching these markets in an authentic way.
If it’s your first time working with niche influencers, check out this guide to make sure you’re finding and working with the best influencers for your campaign’s goals.
Successful influencers will be able to utilize the art of storytelling to help consumers learn more about brands, driving awareness and increasing traffic and engagement through sharing how they interact with company products in their everyday lives.
A great example of an influencer who combines storytelling and marketing is Andrew Steinthal, who teams up with brands such as American Express and Nike to share how these brands play a role in the success of his company, The Infatuation. His posts promote not just his company, but the companies he partners with and help both reach more communities they may not be able to on their own.
How You Can Use Influencers for Story Marketing
Companies with a strong brand story increase the value of their products and services over 20 times. Partnering with influencers will help ensure your company’s story will not only be engaging but also ensure it reaches the right audience.
Because influencers are so connected with their audiences, they will be able to share stories and experiences in a way that resonates with their fans. Just as there are many platforms available when it comes to digital marketing, there are many different types of influencers who can reach consumers with different styles of storytelling marketing.
Types of Influencers to Tell Your Story
- Social Media Gurus – Influencers dedicated to the most popular social media platforms: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube, are seasoned professionals when it comes to sharing their lives through digital mediums. These influencers utilize the tools within each platform to market brand stories to consumers.
- The traditional methods of marketing through these channels is through posting carefully crafted photos that show how influencers interact with brands in their day to day lives; however, the introduction of live streaming has given influencers a new way to share marketing stories through videos. Instead of just sharing a photo or two, consumers can view a video of influencers interacting with brands, and even interact with them in real-time through live broadcasts.
- Article Writers-While the most popular social media platforms allow for only a few photos or videos to be shared in a one-time post, blogs, magazines, and even books provide an opportunity to share longer, more detailed marketing stories with audiences, while also incorporating photos and videos.
- Stories posted through articles give companies and influencers the chance to dive deeper into a story, sharing a look into the history of a brand, and where it is headed. These provide perfect opportunities for consumers to learn more about their favorite brands and align with their values. Consumers are more likely to support companies that they feel connected to. Articles and posts don’t have to just follow the traditional storyline method; publishing interviews and detailed product reviews are great ways to connect with audiences.
- Audio Storytellers–Similar to blogs and articles, utilizing audio media like podcasts hosted by a popular influencer is a great way to give fans an inside look at a brand. Hearing a story told verbally can help bring it to life and help the storyteller evoke desired emotions through tone, volume, and pace.
- Podcasts may not be at the forefront of any business’s mind when it comes to utilizing them in a marketing strategy, but they shouldn’t be overlooked. Influencers who tell brand stories via podcasts are able to immerse audiences in ways that other platforms can’t.
Giving influencers the freedom to take control of their campaigns is the best way to ensure success when it comes to storytelling in marketing. A good influencer will know their audience and more than likely have a preferred platform and method when it comes to sharing stories with their followers. Whenever possible, allow your influencers to take the reins when it comes to promoting a brand or product.
Finding the perfect influencer to connect with customers through the art of storytelling is crucial to running a successful campaign. Utilizing an influencer management tool will help not only find the perfect influencer by accessing an influencer network of millions but also track valuable KPI and ROI metrics in real-time and automate the influencer management process.
Take the guesswork out of finding the perfect influencer for your company’s next story marketing campaign by partnering with GRIN.
Was this article helpful? Give it a share!
Be part of the GRIN, access to our weekly newsletter
Stay up to date with all things Influencer Marketing focused. We cover the best new tools & platforms to help you succeed.
Join us as we sit and chat with experts across all industries and fields to help you maximize your marketing potential.